I’m super excited about the Paramount Summer Classics Film series. I’ve got my Film Fan card, and I’m all set to watch a truly insane number of films this summer (don’t remind me that I’m already like 9 films behind in my write-ups). Shawn will probably come to some of them with me, but I expect I will be watching alone most of the time. Which I don’t mind at all! But if you’re in Austin, and you also happen to be going to see some films, feel free to say hi!
I’m most looking forward to:
- Lady from Shanghai - Orson Welles
- A Streetcar Named Desire - I’ve seen this before, but Marlon Brando on the big screen…
- Hitchcock Week - The Birds, Rope, 39 Steps, The Man Who Knew Too Much, North by Northwest, and Strangers on a Train. I’ve seen all except 39 Steps, so that will be an exciting addition to my list. Rope is one of my favorites, and it’s been a while since I’ve seen Stranger on a Train. I’ve already seen The Birds on the big screen, but it’s also one of my favorites. I’m going to try to see them all though.
- Cabaret and All That Jazz - yes, Bob Fosse, yes.
- Meet Me In St. Louis - one of my favorite movie musicals, featuring my favorite Christmas song of all time, and one of the most unexpectedly weird children characters ever to appear on-screen.
- The Third Man - Carol Reed. A can’t-miss re-watch.
- The Sound of Music - maybe I’ll figure out what happens in those five minutes that got cut off because I had to switch tapes when copying onto VHS from TV.
- The Exorcist - haven’t watched since high school. I’ve been meaning to re-watch, and this is a perfect opportunity.
- Stolen Kisses - <3 Jean-Pierre Leaud and Francois Truffaut. Haven’t seen this one, had been meaning to see this one.
- Seven Samurai - haven’t seen… *film shame*
- 2001 - the big screen!!! 70 MM!!! DYING!!!
- Once Upon a Time in the West - yea, so I guess most of this list is comprised of things I’ve seen before that I’m absolutely drooling over seeing on the big screen…
- Go West and Seven Chances - I love me some Buster Keaton
- Anatomy of a Murder
- Scarlet Street and Kiss Me Deadly - looking forward to some classic noir
- L’Atalante and Zero de Conduit - I’m wholly unfamiliar with Jean Vigo, so looking to expand some knowledge.
So this is what I’m most excited about, but if all goes as planned, I’m looking at seeing ~6-8 films per week (mostly double features). EXCIIIITED